Monday, November 29, 2010

Breaking news: Maria has a plan through June, 2011

Hi,
Last Christmas, I announced that I'd probably be leaving Boston at the end of the year.  True to my promise, I'm excited to say that I've accepted a position with BRAC in Bangladesh to help them analyze their tuberculosis program and disseminate their learnings to other implementers. BRAC is arguably the largest NGO in the world, with over 100,000 staff in 13 countries.  They have 30 years of experiencing treating tuberculosis in rural communities of Bangladesh with a thoughtful, performance-based model that relies almost entirely on non-medical staff (i.e. local women in the village).  As BRAC begins to implement its health programs in other countries--from Afghanistan to Sierra Leone to Uganda, having an explicit and sophisticated of how the model works and why will be crucial to adapting it to new settings.  So, my task is to help them capture the data and analysis in a book that can be used internally and externally by other implementers worldwide.  I'll be working with faculty and staff that I deeply admire, and for a global health junkie like me, this feels like an opportunity of a lifetime.

It's only upon preparing to leave that I appreciate that despite my complaining about the weather, lack of sweet tea, and red sox obsession, Boston has become my home and I'm going to miss it.  But its pretty freaking exciting to be buying a one way ticket abroad, carrying a suitcase or two, and just seeing what opportunities the world throws at me.  I'm a big believer in think globally, act locally, so if "health in developing countries" is really my passion, it's time to go to the action.  Whether I'll stay in health or move to another field in the long run (I'm hoping to have an opportunity to look at solar energy in Bangladesh as well), I'm not sure, but I'm pretty confident that spending time in the field is the only way to figure it out.

When I come up for Christmas, I'll pack everything up here.  Planning to travel (for fun!) the month of January, then start work in Bangladesh in February.  I hope you'll think about coming to visit, either Bangladesh or somewhere nearby.  If you bring peanut butter I will likely be willing to travel ~500 mile to see you :)

A parting quote that I love, and am constantly inspired to serve more completely, is:
"If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time.  But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together."  ~Aboriginal activists group, 1970.

A brief description of BRAC's program (with photos taken by yours truly) is here.
More info, fewer pictures here on BRAC's website.

Look forward to telling you more in person next month!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, very exciting news! I am looking forward to hearing more about your plans over Christmas :)

Grandmama said...

I am glad your plan is for only six months. My heart is filled with pride, but that pride is also covered with tears! I am sure you will find joy in your passion, but remember you are a native of North Carolina. Love you much!

Maria said...

I would never go anywhere where there wasn't tea in abundance! Perhaps by the end of 6 months, people will be drinking it cold and without milk :) Cultural exchange goes both ways. . . .

Thanks for your kind words--they mean a lot.

Connie Daniel said...

I agree with both Grandmama and Samantha. I also am a little jealous that I cannot do this with you. There is no doubt you will have them eating peanut butter and sweet tea in no time.

I am not a bit surprised that you can and will do this! Go get them! With a gallon plus of love for you!